1940s Bakelite Apple Necklace & Brooch Set - New!
This product is sold out
As a guide we provide general sizing categories as well as actual bust waist and hips sizes. Our general sizing guide is as follows:
- Extra Small US size 2, AUS size 6, UK size 4
- Small US size 4-6, AUS size 8-10, UK size 6-8
- Medium US size 8-10, AUS size 12-14. UK size 10-12
- Large US size 12, AUS size 16, UK size 14
- Extra Large US size 14-16, AUS size 18-20, UK size 16-18
We take special care to ensure that our products are correctly described and measured, with any obvious faults noted in the description. Please understand that these items have had a previous life and consequently may have acquired some wear and tear over the years. Nevertheless, we strive to ensure our items are presented in good wearable condition, clean and with any noticeable fault highlighted. Whilst we take utmost care, mistakes can sometimes happen and we are prepared to provide repairs, exchanges or refunds, whatever we deem appropriate, provided the following conditions are met.....
1. We are notified via email that there is a problem with the item.
2. The notification is provided with 48 hours of receipt of goods.
3. The item is returned at the purchaser's expense - unless we accept responsibility for misrepresenting the item.
4. The item is received by Coutura Vintage within the agreed timeframe.
5. The item is returned in the same condition it was sent.
6. The repair and/or refund will be processed within the mutually agreed timeframe following the return of the item.
7. We do not accept responsibility if these conditions are not met.
Please note we do not accept returns based on items damaged in transit, or after wearing. Should you required additional information and measurements prior to making your decision, we will be most happy to assist. We will also place the item on hold whilst we get back to you with the information. This is a courtesy service and does not imply any obligation on your behalf to purchase.
Coutura Vintage provides a quick, safe and efficient delivery option, for both our Australian clients and for those residing overseas. We deliver to most overseas destinations, mainly using Australia Post.
We have shipped many items overseas over the years and whilst we pack carefully we also take care to ensure that the parcel is sent economically. In the main we use packages and envelopes available from Australia Post. All breakable items are carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and if required double-boxed.
Please be assured, that your item will arrive professionally packed and as promptly as we are able. All items are posted within 48 hours of purchase or earlier. For additional peace of mind you may wish to take our insurance on your package, if you want this option please contact us and we will be happy to discuss the additional cost involved.
Length: 18.25 inches + 46.36 cm
Widest Point: 1.5 inches + 3.81 cm
Length: 2.5 inches + 6.35 cm
Widest Point: 2.5 inches + 6.35 cm
This item is on lay-by for a special person and not available for general sale....thank you for understanding. Also added to this lay-by is vintage 1940s Cherry Necklace on Celluloid Chain cost $140 less discount is $126. Total $446
Inital desposit 21/12 - $50, Payment 2 - 2/4 - $50, Payment 3 - 10/6 - $50
* Vintage 1940s red bakelite apple necklace and brooch set
* Apples are plano-convex
* Green celluloid leaves on a white celluloid link chain
* Brooch features a red bakelite bar with white celluloid chain
* Single red apple and green leaf dangle from chain on brooch
* Beautiful example of the novelty necklaces that were so popular in this period
As plastics became more accessible during the late 1930s and onwards and because they could be moulded into the most elaborate shapes, these materials became very popular in jewellery making. They were also colourful and relatively cheap to produce, as opposed to the use of semi-precious stones, an important factor during the Depression and the second World War periods. Designs became more naturalistic, moving away from the earlier geometric shapes and sparkle. Contemporary jewellery makers drew inspiration from the natural world – flowers, feathers, birds and fruits were all popular themes.
The most expensive of the available plastics was bakelite. Bakelite jewellery featured in many of the USA's high-end department stores such as Bloomingdales, Saks, Lord & Taylor and Macy's. The jewellery of this era is now highly collectible.
Colourful necklace with all components intact and in great condition, with only age-related wear and tear not noticeable at all.
This item is within our selling stock. In the unlikely event that two buyers purchase this item concurrently, payment will be immediately refunded to the latter purchaser. We apologise in advance if this rare circumstance arises.